Sunday 21 June 2020

Fathers and Sons



Hello and welcome to another Building Self Confidence blog. 

This week I am talking about Fathers and Sons, seeing that it is Fathers Day this weekend and some of us won't be lucky enough to see our dads due to lockdown or like mine, my dad has passed away a couple of years ago.

I do miss my dad loads and he was the one who did build up my confidence when after one dancing presentation evening, my dad actually said to me out loud that "He was proud of me" and I remember being taken aback because of this.

Parents, which I am one now, can surprise you at times and say things out of the blue without any warning, and that was just like that and I was lost for words.

As a parent I want my son to feel good about himself as much as possible and not lack the confidence I did when I was his age, and be willing to try his hand at anything.

Fathers and sons are unique because they can have this male bond or drive each other bonkers. I remember my dad not really having a good relationship with his dad, my Grandad Jack, and wondering why.

They can become logger heads and not stand the site of each other, so as women we try to be the man in the middle to calm each one of them down. Now my husband and I have split up we share our son, so I take care of Henry during the week and get to spend some time with him and his fathers sees and gets to spend time with him at the weekends.

It can be tough because when I go to pick Henry up he can kick up a fuss to say he would like to see his dad, but it's just not possible, because of the hours his dad works.

I would never stop Henry from seeing his dad, and if Henry turned round and said "Mum I would like to live with dad" I would say even though I would feel a little hurt, stand back and let him. Of course it would depend if his father would want that too.

So lets embrace the fathers and sons in our lives and say Happy Fathers Day and stay safe.

Many thanks for reading,


Carrie X




No comments:

Post a Comment