Friday 17 July 2020

Building your kids confidence



Watching my son who is 6 years old, takes me back to when I was a kid. He seems to be more of a daredevil than me, as today he climbed a very high up climbing frame in one of our local parks, which he has never done before, and I thought wow, where did he find the confidence to do that?

As a parent I have come to realise that sometimes kids have to find the confidence to do things on their own, rather than being pushed to do things.

I as a kid would have never attempted to climb such a high up climbing frame, as I was a bit of a scaredy cat as a kid, and never did monkey bars as I was fearful of not being able to hold on, and falling off.

However there was a time when I loved going on rollercoasters and was never really scared until I got older, and it was caused by having a bad experience on a ride in Jersey, where I was being wized up in the air and couldn't breathe because it was so windy and because of that I become fearful on going on fast and high rides.

Since Henry, my son came into the world I have had to curve in my lack of self confidence because I don't want my fears to be passed on to him, and I love the fact that he is a lot more confident at his age. I feel sometimes to get the best out of life you do, have to do things that you would never have dreamed of doing, and that means taking risks.

As soon as they see you are being anxious about something can cause them to be aswell, so I let Henry try different things now when playing outside and unlike last year when I had him on reins when we would go anywhere, I now have the confidence of walking with him without reins and he will stay by my side most of the time.

Encouraging and rewarding my son works a treat and helps build his confidence even more.

You have to allow them space for them to explore and if they do fall or not confident then give them comfort, but praise them for trying.

Never put too much pressure on your kids, because often, learning from my own experience being a mum, is that they will just stop or do the opposite to what you tell them to do.

If you would like to read more of my experience of being a parent, then please check out my 3 books published below, and my WordPress blogs, where I specifically write about my life as a parent.


Here are the links to my two parenting blogs I write:




Many thanks for reading,


Carrie X



No comments:

Post a Comment